Spring cleaning is one of those things I love the idea of but once it get's down to it then it's pretty tricky thing to motivate me. So here are my 5 top tips for spring cleaning!
- Be Realistic - Don't expect to clean your whole house in 2 hours. If you manage to do that then you haven't done it properly. It took me 6 hours to spring clean mine and Scott's bedroom. That included pulling out furniture and wiping down walls. Not to mention putting it all back and sorting through the rubbish. Even if you start a drawer at a time, you could easily do that in 10 minute bursts whilst the adverts of your favourite show are on.
- If in doubt, throw it out - I can't count the amount of times I have kept things thinking that I might use them at some point. All that means is that I accumulate more and more clutter so when a clear out happens it's a complete mess and harder to do. Go through your wardrobes regularly and the same with your cupboards. Be honest, are you really going to wear that top you bought 10 years ago again?
- Repurpose your old stuff - I've really got into the whole upcycling thing recently. We are in the process of turning a bookcase that was neglected into a bench for Max's room and we have created collage walls out of old cards and pictures using washi tape. It's amazing what you can make with a gluestick and a staple gun!
- Don't buy expensive cleaning products - Seriously don't! You can clean grouting and unblock plugs with a bicarbonate of soda paste, you can bring out the white shine in shoes with toothpaste and if you haven't heard of the miracle uses of white vinegar then you have been living under a rock! There are so many how to sites that show you how using something that you have in your cupboards can clean up a stain that you won't ever need to head for that aisle again! I even got a biro stain out of the carpet with exfoliating pads.
- Embrace it! - It won't get done properly if you don't enjoy it. Whack on the radio, open the windows and sing and dance whilst you clean those rooms!