This Christmas we are trying to focus on handmade goods. Christmas shouldn't be about how much money you can spend but time together, so we are making small hampers for people with home made goodies. Here's our gorgeous caramel fudge recipe.
You will need:
- 395g tin of condensed milk
- 450g Demerara sugar
- 115g butter
- 150ml milk
- Caramel flavouring (we use Dr Oetker)
- Any other toppings you fancy. Chocolate chips are always a hit in this indulgent house.
- Line a baking tin with parchment paper, this will make it easier to take it out once it has set.
- Put the condensed milk, milk, butter and sugar in a pan and heat until it has all melted.
- Bring it to the boil and continually stir for 15 minutes. If you have a sugar thermometer it should be roughly 118 degrees centigrade.
- Remember to scrape the pan thoroughly as it burns the bottom quite fast. Another way to test is to drop a small amount into a glass of ice water. It should form a soft fudgy ball if its ready.
- Take it off the heat and add your flavouring. We used about 1 teaspoon but you can add as much or little as you like!
- Then it's time to beat it. Beat it like your life depends on it. During the beating it's time to add your extras like chocolate chips as they are less likely to melt.
- When your fudge is becoming firm and starting to set it's time to pop it into your baking tin. Make sure it's even and level, we normally just throw it in and then eat the little offcuts.
- Leave it in the fridge for a couple of hours to set and then use a sharp knife to cut into bite size pieces.